January 28, 2015

COYO

with

Ron Laws — Flutemaker & Musician





Ron's earliest memories are from the beautiful Applegate and Rogue River Valleys, amidst the blue tip pines of Southern Oregon Near his ancestral home was a little trout stream that meandered around a grassy meadow with a stand of old growth sugar pine. In the center was a magical place with a huge old ancient tree, which is where Ron learned to play flute, drum his oatmeal carton drum, dance, and feel the magic, wonder, love, and power of this world. It was once said that in the old growth forests of Southern Oregon, if one were to listen to the wind late at night, there were stories to be heard.




"Often I imagined myself to be one of the great trees, standing tall and proud. In their sacred presence I felt the miracle of my heart beating, the gift of pure air filling my lungs, my feet rooted in the earth—and in the gold light of the sun I would spread my arms as great branches and my thoughts, like birds, would soar. I was free! Singing with my coyote brothers, my heart flying in great circles with the hawk. And when I danced naked amidst the pines, the wisdom and music of creation flowed through my being as effortlessly as wind moved through the branches above me.

"Sometimes, from deep in the mystery of this wondrous world, I would hear stories whispered, perhaps by the old growth, about those who had danced in this meadow before me, and who had, each in there times, been drawn away into the busy world of Men where there were many tasks to accomplish and many lessons to learn.

"During these times, I could feel myself being pulled into another place, into a world that I did not yet understand.

"One day, my time came, and I also left that beautiful valley to learn through many heartaches and joys the strange ways of those who did not remember the voices of the trees, the brooks, the birds and the sky.

"But when my heart was filled with pain, or my steps had become too disjointed, I would play my drum and dance again.

"Then an inner sun would rise within upon the beautiful island meadow that I would always love, and once again, in the music, and in the dance of my remembrance, all was well."


        







Ron has been working with wood since he was a boy. In his twenties  he started a manufacturing company making pine novelty items, and he also has experience as a builder of cedar homes. Around 1994, Ron began hand-crafting Native American Flutes in his small shop on his  land near Bend, Oregon. He also can be found on the rivers, streams and  mountains of Central Oregon, playing one of his flutes. Ron performs as a musician—he’s opened for Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer, and he’s the founding member of the music group trio COYO. He also  teaches flute-playing classes, is a story-teller, plays for the local  hospice, and does work-shops with at risk youths. Today flute making is Ron’s full-time business. He is one of the finest craftsmen in the  business and a member of the International Native American Flute  Association (INAFA).

1 comment:

Lucille said...

Sooooooooooo beautiful...his story so heart-warming, loving, and in some way familiar in spiritual experience. Here, another Blog, another way, open to express the Wonder, the Beauty and the Glory which surrounds us and can be seen round about. I enjoyed viewing the video and listening to Ron's story. He was/is a very talented man in many ways and he revealed this in his spiritual life. We too have many talents, perhaps not like his but they were given us from on High to use, and not hide them under a bushel. It's just a matter of discovering them, and we simply do that as the bush is....not removed from the earth but burning with a desire to use our God-given talents in ways that are appropriate in any moment...and we love doing it. So, David, having said this, I love your new Blog. Thank you.