August 21, 2017




Space of Course is Alive


Space, of course is alive;

that’s why it moves about;

and that’s what makes it eternally spacious and unstuffy.


And somewhere it has a wild heart

that sends pulses even through me;

and I call it the sun;

and I feel aristocratic, noble, when I feel a pulse go through me

from the wild heart of space, that I call the sun of suns.


To be an aristocrat of the sun

you don’t need one single social inferior to exalt you;

you draw your nobility direct from the sun;

let other people be what they may.


I am that I am

from the sun,

and people are not my measure.


Perhaps, if we started right, all children could grow up sunny

and sun aristocrats.


I love the sun in any man

when I see it between his brows

clear, and fearless, even if tiny.


Conscience

is sun awareness

and our deep instinct

not to go against the sun.


adapted from the poetry of DH Lawrence




No comments: