January 30, 2016

Climbing  the  Great  Pyramid  of  Giza






Andrej Cieselski, an 18-year-old from Munich, illegally climbed the 4,500-year-old Great Pyramid in broad daylight earlier this month for the sake of the breathtaking photos and videos he took while on top.


"Walking around in the complex I was waiting for the right moment to start climbing The Great Pyramid of Giza," Cieselski wrote.




The nearly 500-foot ascent of the Pyramid of Gizeh (146 metres high) which is the oldest and largest of three pyramids, took eight minutes, he said.





"When I started climbing a street seller was standing behind me but I didn't care about him. I turned around, he laughed and I continued climbing. At the half some people got attention on me and looked up. That's how the police spotted me. They shouted something in Arabic I think but I didn't care and kept going while listening to music."


The risky climb produced rare and spectacular views from the top. Cieselski's feet dangled over the edge of the top, which looks out onto a hazy view of a nearby pyramid and its desert surroundings.





"It was absolutely surreal standing on top of one of the wonders of the world and something that I will never forget. I wanted to experience Egyptian culture and I definitely managed that.”


Egyptian police waited for Cieselski at the bottom of the pyramid and briefly detained him and threatened to take him to the German embassy, but eventually let him go. "After a while I was released without anything further happening."


andrejcie.com/2016/01/25/cairo-egypt


No comments: